Bal Matheson has specialized in environmental, resource management and local government law since 1998.
He started his career at Russell McVeagh and remained there until joining the independent bar in December 2016.
While at Russell McVeagh, Bal led the environmental and planning team for many years, was a member of the Board of Management for 4 years, and was Chair of the Board of Management between 2014-2016.
Since 2011 Bal has been a trustee of Elizabeth Knox Home, a charitable trust for impoverished predominantly elderly residents of Auckland.
Bal accepts instructions in most areas of resource management, environmental and local government law.
His practice focuses on large scale urban redevelopment, water, and infrastructure projects, right across New Zealand.
Regarded as a strategic and lateral thinker, Bal is able to provide advice from the outset of any particular project, through to any hearing processes and any subsequent litigation that might ensue.
Bal is known for his willingness to challenge assumptions and to provide timely, concise and forthright advice.
Bal is a co-author of the Water chapter, and author of the Air chapter in New Zealand’s leading text Environmental and Resource Management Law, and is a regular contributor to the Resource Management Journal.
Bal is a member of the Resource Management Law Association, chaired the Auckland Branch of the Association for a number of years and was subsequently a member of the National Committee of the Association.
Bal is recognized by a number of legal directories, including being ranked as a Band 1 lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific in 2012, 2013 and 2016.
Infrastructure projects, urban development, and water and water quality related projects and processes are the focus of Bal’s national practice.
Recent projects that have been approved or are underway include obtaining the necessary resource consents or other approvals for:
- Sub-regional wastewater treatment plants at Warkworth, Snells Beach, and Omaha for Watercare
- Goldmine beneath Waihi township, for Newmont Asia Pacific
- Retirement villages, for Oceania and BeGroup
- Quarries and cleanfills, for Fulton Hogan and Winstone Aggregates
- Dairy manufacturing plants, for Fonterra
- LPG storage and refilling facility, for OnGas
Other significant master planning, regional plan, or other processes that Bal has been or is involved with include:
- Expansion of St Lukes Shopping Centre, for Scentre
- Development of Westgate Town Centre, for New Zealand Retail Property Group
- Development of landholdings at Wairaka Precinct, Mt Albert, for Unitec
- Drafting the Infrastructure Chapter of the Auckland Unitary Plan, for Vector, Spark, Chorus, Counties Power and Vodafone
- Advising on and appearing in respect of regional plans in Waikato, Canterbury and Southland, for Fonterra
- Appearing before the Board of Inquiry for the Tukituki Plan Change, including in the subsequent High Court litigation, for Fonterra
- Amending the National Water Conservation (Rakaia River) Order 1988, for Trustpower